Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Meet: Eileen Eisele, founder of TapeSwell


Q: How long have you been an artist? How did you get started?

I was an art minor as an undergraduate, 20 years ago. I didn't come from a family that saw art as a genuine career path. I then studied interior design after graduating as it seemed a more reliable way to make a living.
It turned out I didn't care much for the structure but it did lead me into photo-styling which I have been doing for 15 years.

Q: Do you have any formal training or are you self taught?
When I started as a stylist there was no formal training. But every painting, clay or photography class I took helped form my point of view.
Photo stylists are the original found object artists. As an avid collector and long time yard sale fanatic I found my passion for the odd , unusual or quirky were an advantage and turned out to be tools of the trade. I currently do a lot of encaustic wax painting over photos I shoot with something called a lensbaby to give them a vintage feel. I have incorporated the wax painting in some of the surfaces I use on photo shoots. Photographers get all the credit but the magic comes from the texture, color, textiles and unexpected touches a stylist brings to a photo shoot.

Q: Where do you draw inspiration from?
Working on photo shoots can be inspiring. I am quite often in beautiful locations for extended periods of time. Environments really influence me, especially other peoples stuff and how they have arranged them or haven't for that matter.

Q: What sort of things motivate you?
Being a stylist gives you a can do attitude, I have to make it work. When I started thinking about my next business endeavor, decorative tape, I knew if I was tenacious enough I could make it happen.

Q: Which artists have most influenced you and why?
I love Sally Mann's work as well as Raymond Meeks. Their photographs are hauntingly beautiful to me.

Q: What medium/mediums do you work with?
I currently love encaustic wax painting. The layering and textures are so intriguing. Any mistake can be heat gunned away. The medium is very forgiving.

Q: Do you have a blog and/or a website you would like to share?
My new business www.TapeSwell.com where I sell my line of decorative packing tape.

No comments: